Music Commentary--Creative Writing--Cultural Hilarity





"What if there are no cries of anguish to be heard? Who is prepared to take arms against a sea of amusements? To whom do we complain, and when, and in what tone of voice, when serious discourse dissolves into giggles?"--Neil Postman






Saturday, July 23, 2011

Seattle, WA

Seattle, WA


* The tenth (and last) in a series of travelogue poems--poetic structure inspired by Charles Bukowski’s posthumous poem “come on in!”

welcome to this precipitous hill.

the beats blast from every undiscovered corner.

aging hipsters cling to their withered bus passes.

this is where my last poetic line will be

written.

the Americanos stream into each cup

like water through the Pugent

Sound.

we need to find a new truth and a new

direction.

we’re trapped here now

watching the perplexed tourists panting up the

incline.

my heart pounds to the certainties of

caffeinated overdose.

I stand up, walk it off, scratch

my head.

I’m a cup.

I am an overplayed song.

this precipitous hill welcomes you.

please come, but don’t stay too long!

there’s a life for you here,

poseur.

we have no motives to question but our own so

come sit with me at this uncomfortably crowded table.

it’s only two a.m.

here

four in Chicago.


By: Jake Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment